Coconut macaroons are such an under-rated dessert or treat that just needs some acknowledgement for a quick minute. Macaroons have always been a great gluten free alternative to cake, but they are still filled with lots of refined sugar... which, as with so many other things, is unnecessary and can totally be created without. While still being incredibly delicious! These coconut macaroons are gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free. They are sweetened with a tiny bit of maple syrup and really I mean a tiny bit. We are talking 1 tablespoon tiny. Otherwise the natural sweetness of coconut does the trick!
These are super quick to make, have very limited clean up and they are sure to be a crowd pleaser! They are naturally gluten free, dairy free, flour free, refined sugar free, paleo and most importantly... freaking good! They are perfect for parties, dessert or even for an afternoon treat. The perfect coconut lovers treat!
1. Preheat oven to 175C (350F)
2. Whisk the egg whites.
3. Melt the coconut oil (on low, it doesn't need to be warm).
4. Add the coconut oil, salt and maple syrup to the whisked egg whites. Mix together.
5. Add the coconut flakes and mix to create your "dough".
6. Form little balls on baking sheet.
7. Bake for 13-15 minutes.
8. Let cool before you drizzle the chocolate on top.
2 egg whites
3 tbs coconut oil
1 tbs salt
2 tbs maple syrup
1 cup coconut flakes
Optional chocolate to drizzle on top