In excitement of it being summer (even though here in Denmark the weather doesn't exactly show it), I thought I would share a favorite salad of mine. Plus it is a huge fan favorite of the fam-bam! Now I call this a summer salad but it's also a great spring salad, a nice little warm up for the warm, sunshine season ahead! It's just a very refreshing, sweet and savory salad, that goes perfectly with well basically anything. My family and I recently had it with some grilled chicken and it was SO yum! But it's also just a great salad to eat on it's own for lunch or dinner. Then of course, if you are in the need of a little protein, then add some oven baked chicken or a vegetarian/vegan protein source, for a healthy, balanced meal.
The combination of the sweetness of the fruits and the bitterness of the leafy greens and then the crunchiness of the roasted almonds, just satisfies your tastebuds! Give the recipe a try for your next get together or just any other dinner next week.
- some leafy greens of choice (I like to use more than one type of greens)
- olive oil
1. Either the night before or earlier in the day, cook up some quinoa. Make as much as you want, depending on whether or not you want to have some extra for some quinoa oats or lunch for the week. If you are making for just the salad you choose to make anything from 1/2 - 1 cup (dry). And allow to cool.
2. Dry roast the almonds in the oven or in a pan depending on your preference (and maybe time)
3. Wash all your greens and the edamame
4. Chop up the mango.
5. Toss all the goodies together in a big bowl with some olive oil and lemon - with is my preference for "dressing"