Never did I think that I would be carrying peppermint oil around in my handbag. But yes, I am one of those people now because this oil, much like lavender, has change my life. For someone who has been deal with constant headache and never really being able to get a clearer answer than "well it's most likely because of tension in your shoulders". Which is fine, I'm grateful I don't have chronic migraines, but it's still a little sucky and something I have to deal with everyday.
Eventually I got tired of doctors constantly telling me, just take Advil, some even suggested I drink coffee as it might aid in the pills being activated fast... caffeine. Like are you serious? Over caffeination is one of the most common causes of headaches for the individual person. But you know, I was young and I trusted everything my doctor said. Now I'm not saying you shouldn't listen to your doctor, my goodness no. Listen to them, take care of yourself, but do yourself a favor and be open minded to other options, and that's not just with headaches. But back to my little spiel. I ended up finding different ways to cope with my headaches without taking pills and it works on the lighter days but it wasn't until I started using peppermint oil that I found a way to cope with my heavy, bad headache days. This little green oil has drastically changed my life as a student and just as a human being as a whole. I may go around spelling like a giant peppermint plant now but it is so worth it. If you are struggling with constant and lengthy headaches then please please PLEASE do yourself the kindest favor and get some peppermint oil. Always feel free to shoot me a message with any questions, concerns or just pure excitement! :)
Now that's just one way peppermint has benefited my life, there are many other ways it has. Another benefit is how it has helped me as a student, by increasing my focus and concentration. To make it easier for you, I have made another little flyer that you can find here, save to your computer or print out to have on hand if you are ever curious as to whether or not peppermint can be beneficial in whatever situation you may find yourself in. Then below I have added some more detailed information as to how to get and feel the full benefits.
Peppermint Oil Benefits:
- Rub on temples, forehead, over sinuses and on back of neck to relieve headache
- Rub on stomach or add to tea to relieve indigestion
- Reduce injury inflammation
- Massage on abdomen to relieve nausea
- Increase focus and concentration
- Rub on bottoms of feet to reduce fever
- Rub on chest and stomach to relieve travel sickness
- Drop on tongue and inhale through nose to relieve congestion from a cold
- Rub on joints to relieve arthritis or tendinitis pain
- Drop on tongue to relieve bad breath
- Add to a footbath to relieve sore feet
Two bonus benefits:
- Inhaling can curb appetite and lessen impulse to overeat
- Remove tickets by applying a drop on a cotton swab and swabbing the tick. Wait for it to unhinge its head and remove from pet
These healing properties, which peppermint has in certain situations, it is incredibly important that you are using a high quality oil. Which is why I use Young Living Essential Oils. They are not only a trusted brand but their Seed to Seal concept is exactly what I want for my oils, and I would highly recommend that you prioritise it as well.
As always, if you have any questions regarding the oils or anything else really, feel free to contact me via DM on Instagram or Facebook or simply leave a comment below.